Sean is honoured and privileged to serve the residents of Charlottetown after being elected as a Member of Parliament on May 2, 2011. On June 1st,2011, Sean was appointed Veterans Affairs Critic and Associate Justice Critic for the Liberal Party. Currently, Sean is the Liberal Party of Canada’s Justice Critic and serves as Vice-Chair on the Justice Committee.
Before becoming an MP, Sean was Managing Partner of the Charlottetown law firm of Stewart McKelvey. He joined Stewart McKelvey in 1989, becoming a Partner in 1993. He was appointed as Queen’s Counsel in 2008. From 2003-2008, Sean worked with the family business, Paderno, as President of the Paderno Group of Companies. He worked extensively in strategic planning, financial management, operations and human resources. Sean elected to return to Stewart McKelvey and was named Managing Partner in 2008.
Sean Casey has always been active in his community, including the following among his many volunteer roles:
- President, Liberal Party of Prince Edward Island (2003-2007)
- President, Greater Charlottetown Area Chamber of Commerce (2009-2010)
- Chair, Canadian Soccer Association National Appeals Committee (2009-2011, Member since 2006)
- Chair, First Angel Network (2007-2009)
- Chair, Spud Minor Hockey Tournament (2001-2003)
- Holy Redeemer Church
- Canadian Soccer Association
- Charlottetown Minor Hockey Association
- Winsloe Charlottetown Royals FC
- PEI Marathon
- Advisor on The Entrepreneur’s Forum
A graduate of St. Francis Xavier and Dalhousie universities, Sean resides in West Royalty, PEI with his wife, Kathleen, and their two sons, Ryan and Dean. Sean is a keen sports fan, golfer and runner, having completed marathons in Amsterdam, New York, and PEI.